About the Council Room
On the ground floor towards the back of the main foyer of this Westminster event venue is the Council room; one of our most striking function rooms. The impressive event space has high ceilings and large windows along the west wall allowing in lots of natural daylight. The walls are almost completely covered with rich, dark oak panelling and the ceilings are adorned with beautifully embellished plaster and lit by a large chandelier. The soft furnishings – including curtains and carpets which are some of the more recent additions – are well-appointed in reds, greens and golds which help give a warm, luxurious feel to the room.
There is space for up to 100 people theatre style or for a reception, and up to 80 people for a sit-down dining event. The room has the added advantage of adjoining the Brunel room which interconnects with the Smeaton room. This means these rooms can be used together and allow for much flexibility. Each room can be given a distinct function for the overall event whilst being fully contained within one exclusive area. To the other side the Stephenson room connects to the Council room which can serve as additional yet separate event space.
Unlike most of the rooms in the building, this one is not named after a celebrated engineer. Instead this self-explanatory name was given back in 1913, it is where the Institution’s Council, it’s chief decision making body still meet to discuss matters associated with the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Licenced for Civil marriage ceremonies and civil partnerships
- Full wheelchair accessibility, guide dogs allowed
- Central air conditioning
- Space allows for bespoke stage sets to be created and built
- Natural daylight
- Connectivity to high specification Tandberg video-conferencing
- Hard-wired interconnectivity between all meeting rooms for video, audio and data
- Complimentary superfast Wi-Fi
- Dedicated bandwidths and static IP addresses also available
- Other Audio Visual services available on request
|Height under chandelier
||128.15 sq m
|Stand up buffet / reception
|Seated lunch / dinner / cabaret*
Lighting (Natural Daylight)
|Light switch in room
Power and Communications
|Number of 13 amp sockets
|Wireless and wired broadband internet access
Main Access (Double Doors)